back to info and advice

Child Safety Week: fire

Blog Image

During Child Safety Week two toddlers will be admitted to hospital because they’ve inhaled smoke from a fire in the home. The thick black smoke from a fire can fill your home in minutes and kill in seconds. 

If a fire starts when you’re asleep and you don’t have a working smoke alarm there’s a big chance the poisonous smoke will quickly make you unconscious and you’ll never wake up!

Make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home and double your chances of getting your family out. 

Take a few minutes every week to check your alarms are working. And pledge some time this week to fitting your smoke alarms, if they’re still sitting in their boxes!

Read more

 

comments

(4)

  • Fire scares the hell out of me. I am so paranoid. So glad we have fire alarms that work! xx

    by Gemma_ 7 December 2012

  • i have two fire alarms in my house on up stairs and one down, i make sure theyre checked at least once every two weeks, but i can be very easy to forget to check them, leave yourself little reminders on the calander or on your phone i found that this worked for me.

    by meganmummy14 26 October 2012

  • I have several alarms in the house, i live in a house near the stables i ride in and the barn is next door, in the summer wen it gets hot they hay can get caught alight which makes it dangerous, i make sure our alarms work every week! x

    by rosem94 4 August 2012

  • i have two fire alarms in my house. one in my dining room and one on my landing. When i first moved into my property i had none. I couldnt believe my land lady hadnt put them in. well me being me, put it down on my ever growing list of 'things to do'. a few days later i was having a nap with my little one when all of a sudden there was someone banging on my windows. coming too my lounge was ful of smoke. so panicking a grabbed my daughter and ran out the house. My new neighbour had contacted the fire brigade. No sign of flames in the house - so i was still totally unaware of what was going on. Then i looked up - my chimney was alight. i later found out we could have been in serious danger due to the lack of safety given at the property. My two alarms were fitted by y local fire station. they showed me how to use them and if i ever needed them on advise the contact number i could use. i Advise EVERYONE to get one if not more. Also a carbon monoxide alarm which are a total steal on amazon at the moment. Protect yourselves and your families. x

    by staciapps 27 June 2012