Reflections on being a young mum
Hi my name is Yvonne, I am 24 years old, a single parent with two children age 4 and 5. I am a motivated person who recently discovered my passion that I wanted to become a Life Coach to coach young mums with personal development, and any other aspect of their lives.
I actually started making videos because of this wonderful lady that I met at a business seminar. She encouraged me to start making videos on Youtube and straight away I thought this lady is crazy. What am I going to say over the internet plus who will listen to me “I’m just Yvonne” Little did I know that was fear and limiting beliefs talking to me in my mind. Even though I was so scared, I refused to listen to that voice. I thought to myself I have more to gain than to lose so take her advice and do your best.
So I made my first video, I was extremely nervous but day by day it got easier. It was amazing. I absolutely loved making videos in my bedroom because I got to discover something new about who I was as a young parent. I realised I had a talent, loved to talk, loved to share my experiences and most off I wanted to coach. Watch my videos.
Since becoming a teen mum I learnt so many different life changing things. It was an emotional rollercoaster especially as I didn’t ever plan to have children so young or close in age! I had my daughter at age 18 and son at age 19. Both times were unplanned but I still decided to go ahead with the pregnancies. Luckily I had good babies that didn’t cry much. But what really amazed me was despite my circumstances and my age I was filled up with so much love for my children and knew instantly I wanted more out of life for them. Looking back on where I started it’s been an everyday course because as a parent you learn something new. I don’t regret my children as they bring me joy and happiness and most of all they complete my character, they complete me.
One thing I wish I’d known when I became a young mum:
1. I wish I had known that no matter how you plan your life with the father of child it may not work out not only because you're young parents, but because you have different paths in life and no matter how hard you try it will not change because you cannot change what is destined to be.
Things I believe young mums should remember:
1. Remember you are human so you’re bound to make mistakes as there is no mum instruction book. You learn new things everyday as a mum. So don’t feel sad or bad when something isn’t going your way. Just always try to be better than yesterday.
2. Treat yourself to something new as it’s not crime to buy yourself something even its just a top. As what tends to happen in most cases, we get so used to spending on our children, and when it’s time to spend on ourselves we feel very guilty. We start to compare what we want to a price of nappies which is wrong. It’s important to treat yourself, it helps with your confidence so don’t feel bad!!
3. Babies do not hold you back from achieving any dream you once had before you had a baby. Having a baby young just means you may have to find alternative route to support you and your baby. So don’t give up ever!
4. Being a young mum doesn’t define who you are; your choices and actions define who you are.
5. It’s not what people call you; it’s what you answer to. So be careful what you answer to as you shouldn’t let negative words define you such as baby mum think about how those words describe young mums. You’re more than a baby mum you’re a mother.
6. Always try your very hardest to remember you are your children’s role model so please try to lead by example in anything you do.Your child is watching everything you do.
7. Last but not least as I have many things I believe a mum should remember but to me this is so important. Especially as a young mum we forget to take a time to BREATH as we think it’s a crime to have a break or a day to charge back up especially if you’re a single parent. It’s vital you take a break as you’re playing mum and dad so you need to chill out too! Yes motherhood is 24-7 job but what good are you to anyone burnt out. Remember this HEALTH IS WEALTH so be good to your body!!
Watch Yvonne's videos on Youtube>>